Sunday 24 June 2012

Why does letting go hurt so much? or, I shouldn't care, but I do

It shouldn't. It really shouldn't. Maybe if I keep telling myself, I’ll eventually believe it. If there was a time when he was mine, that was fifteen years ago, and I could probably argue that he never was. It would be so much easier to do this if I didn't have a living, breathing fourteen-year-old reminder with his eyes. Deep down, I’m happy that he's found someone and I know that his deliriously giddy behaviour is perfectly normal for that fresh-in-love stage of a relationship. Lord knows, he's had his share of the crazy girls and the psycho bitches. At forty-two, he deserves some happiness. I know it can't be with me. I've got a happiness of my own that grew out of the ashes of him and me. But it doesn't mean that I haven't harboured a secret hope that all these years he looked back with regret at what we might have had if we had both had a little more courage.
I've only had a few relationships in my life that have had profound and lasting effects, although my feelings have been engaged more often than that. The ruin of the first one taught me the importance of compassion. The second taught me that sometimes it is necessary to cut ties when they become destructive. It was a long time before the third one, he whose happiness I am now mourning. From that ending I learned the importance of courage over comfort. There were so many missed opportunities that I saw but talked myself out of using. Now I am learning the importance of dedication and devotion -- and yes, I know that sounds like the chorus of "Walk of Life" by Dire Straits -- and finding myself awed and humbled that someone thinks me worthy. Let me tell you, unconditional love, wherever you find it, is an amazing, awe-inspiring, humbling gift.
It shouldn't hurt, not any more. It really shouldn't hurt like it ended all over again. Maybe if I keep telling myself, I’ll eventually believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment