Sunday 3 June 2012

Itch scratched, fever abated

At least for now. 

After months of looking, I finally landed a position, doing what I have done before, for a company I’ve worked for before, and in the same general geographical area where I worked before.  It looks as though I truly have gone “back to the future”.

I am the newly hired night auditor at a five-star resort in Invermere, British Columbia, Canada. So while I am working graveyard shifts (yuck!), it looks as though I will still have the opportunity to put my stamp on things, as a number of key people in the front and back offices are looking to move on in the next little while.

Things could get interesting, as several staff members are apparently leaving in the next couple of weeks, that number including the front office manager who hired me and the girl who is training me.  She was apparently supposed to leave in mid-May, but agreed to stay on until they hired and trained a full-time night audit.  The accounting assistant is also leaving soon, and I have heard rumours that the relief audit is also looking to move on.  Most of the staff rumoured to be leaving are those who have been here since opening last year, many of whom are unhappy with the GM, who apparently has only been here for a few months. 

I am working with a lot of staff who were still in diapers when I started in the hospitality industry (got my start back in 1990). It is an interesting dynamic being the trainee when most of my frontline co-workers are only a few years older than my eldest child, but I don't intend to be the trainee for long. I have every intention of moving up the ladder. My decade out of the industry has only served to put a keen edge on my hunger to excel, and to drag everyone else along to success, kicking and screaming if need be. Of course, being a lady, I will do it in the most gracious way possible.

Adventure awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment